RN Surgical Services (Per-Diem)
Date Posted: 2/17/2021 12:00:00 AM
Employment Type: Per Diem
Department: Surgical Services
1. Complete chart review and pre-anesthesia evaluation via phone. Reports any concerns to CRNA/Surgeon as appropriate.
2. Performs initial age-appropriate nursing assessment (neonate to geriatrics).
3. Complete ongoing age-appropriate reassessments.
4. Completes discharge assessment to identify patient discharge needs.
5. Identifies priorities for the delivery of nursing care.
6. Develops/implements plan of care based on patient needs and physician orders.
7. Executes appropriate nursing actions to reach patient goals.
8. Communicates patient care activities to health care team members.
9. Updates health care team members of current status and any changes in plan.
10. Documents patient care activities in accordance with established standards and hospital policies and procedures.
11. Initiates specialty/supplemental nursing notes as appropriate.
12. Assists with patient charges.
13. Delivers patient care in accordance with hospital policies and procedures and within the scope of the state Nursing Practice Act.
14. Maintains a physical environment that provides for patient and staff safety and wellness.
15. Ensures that supplies and equipment are readily available and in safe working order.
16. Reports situations involving questionable safety/legality promptly to nursing manager.
17. Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to implement procedures in event of internal or external disaster.
18. Demonstrates knowledge of drug administration and effects.
19. Utilizes appropriate drug reference sources for drug information.
20. Administers drugs correctly utilizing the “five rights”.
21. Evaluates patient response to medications.
22. Assesses need for patient / family education and provides teaching as indicated.
23. Reviews discharge plan, and intervenes appropriately.
24. Completes discharge plan, and insures patient / family understanding of plan.
25. Performs follow up calls to patients.
26. Promotes the hospital and its employees through professional behavior.
27. Participates in department plan to meet regulatory standards.
28. Serves on hospital committees and helps assist department manager to review and revise policies and procedures.
29. Monitor and order supplies for assigned inventory area.
30. Help break down the operating room and clean after each case.
31. Quality Improvement: Actively participates in the Hospital-wide Quality Improvement Program, actively supports and implements Department-specific Quality improvement initiatives and projects, recommends process improvement as appropriate, reports any quality issues in service delivery and consistently commits to a focus on quality improvement and organizational excellence.
32. As an employee of Penobscot Valley Hospital, the position has an inherent role to care for our community members when in need. To this regard, the incumbent will be expected to participate in emergency/disaster preparedness planning and drills as requested. When called upon during a real life disaster/emergency event, the incumbent will be expected to participate in the Hospital’s response to this event, within the scope of professional and personal ability to do so.
Minimum 18 years old; High School diploma or GED.
PVH employment application required. Job offer contingent upon background check and pre-employment physical.
Current Maine nursing license. Ability to problem solve; critical thinking skills; effective verbal and written communication skills. Knowledge base to include nursing assessment and skills for all age groups from neonate to geriatrics. ACLS, PALS and Conscious Sedation certifications within six months of hire for all RN’s working PACU Phase I.
PVH has a Section 125 Cafeteria Benefits Plan and pays a portion of the cost of our health plan, dental, basic life, and disability insurance for employees with 32+ authorized hours, and provides partial subsidy for dependent health insurance. Part-time employees are eligible to receive dental, life, and disability coverage and are eligible to participate in the health insurance plan. Other benefits include a 403(b) plan and earned time off accrual.